Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

usb chess board 101

• 3 lat temu · Cytuj · #41

Robotvinnik

One person has advised me that they used a semi rigid board instead of a vinyl like mine and that worked ok!! Bryan
  • 3 lat temu · Cytuj · #42

fragilio

Robert...

What about "Conductive Thread"?

http://www.sparkfun.com/categories/204

I'm really interested in a pure vinyl/cloth board with a e-fabric controller. Just can't seem to get enough time to build one.

• 3 lat temu · Cytuj · #43

Cybrax

Nice project and I sympathise with those trying to duplicate the work, hand soldering small components is an aquired skill requiring speed, steady hands and asbestos fingers, almost imposibble to achieve without a good quality soldering iron like a Weller. Plus lots of practice!

Would probably not gone for membrane or fabric switches but instead used magnetic or optical sensors. To get around the fiddly soldering I'd use surface mount components and mount on a home etched PCB that could be then drilled and snapped apart into postage stamp sections as this would be easier to wire up a large board.

Sensors can be expensive but there's more than one way to trip a switch and this article you may find illuminating... http://projects.dimension-x.net/archives/32 the video at http://hackedgadgets.com/2006/04/14/led-touch-sensor/ is also an eye opener.

• 3 lat temu · Cytuj · #44

TJer99

So I got my 4mm switches this evening.  Wow those things are small.  I guess I knew they would be but I was still surprised when I got them.  I am able to use them through the vinyl board but if the pieces aren't flat (any kind of concave bottom or felt) they wont press.  Also they will certainly require some fancy soldering on my part.  Will solder hold to the backing of the vinyl chess board (is vinyl with single thin layer of thread)?  If so then maybe a "sloppy" soldering job would help me resolve how I intend to attach all this to the back of the board.  Will post some pictures when I get a chance.

Robert

• 3 lat temu · Cytuj · #45

manuelvaldes

Wow! This is pretty sweet. Awesome work. Patent it and make some money! Cool

• 3 lat temu · Cytuj · #46

jimmy_patterson

TJer99 wrote:

So I got my 4mm switches this evening.  Wow those things are small.  I guess I knew they would be but I was still surprised when I got them.  I am able to use them through the vinyl board but if the pieces aren't flat (any kind of concave bottom or felt) they wont press.  Also they will certainly require some fancy soldering on my part.  Will solder hold to the backing of the vinyl chess board (is vinyl with single thin layer of thread)?  If so then maybe a "sloppy" soldering job would help me resolve how I intend to attach all this to the back of the board.  Will post some pictures when I get a chance.

Robert

i used gray tape on back of board ,trust me 16 solder joints is better. I know you want to roll board ,I got idea on roll up board .

• 3 lat temu · Cytuj · #47

marce1989

manuelvaldes wrote:

Wow! This is pretty sweet. Awesome work. Patent it and make some money!

Matt and Jimmy have been DIY'ed.

• 3 lat temu · Cytuj · #48

jimmy_patterson

• 3 lat temu · Cytuj · #49

fragilio

Update for those interested. 

Since Dream Cheeky boards are next to impossible to get for a reasonable price anymore I developed a new hardware only solution using the Teensy USB device.

You can learn more about it here: Sish Chess

New USB Board with zero software, 100% Sish Hardware, Hardwood board

The code is free, you just need to buy a Teensy or Teensy++ (< $30).

Let me know what you think.

Thanks!

• 3 lat temu · Cytuj · #50

jimmy_patterson

• 2 lat temu · Cytuj · #51

ThePawnStar

This is just the coolest thing ever! I have to try and build one!!!

I have a Dream Cheeky Board. Where can I find the USB software?

Thanks

• 2 lat temu · Cytuj · #52

Robotvinnik

Matt has recently updated his blog with some very interesting comments!

http://sishchess.blogspot.co.uk/

• 2 lat temu · Cytuj · #53

Cannibal713

Greetings guys,
    I've been looking for a good wooden chess board to wire for USB.  I am planning on using reed switches, but could use some information reguarding how well they would work with a woooden chess board. About how thick can the board be and still work and not require a magnet strong enough to interfere with another square's switch?  Can anybody who has gone this route give some advice as to what to look for or avoid in a chess board? Thanks

• 24 miesięcy temu · Cytuj · #54

viveiros

Matt, Bryan, 

Thank you, Bryan, who send me Matt's software. I've been trying with my "nightmare cheeky", is not working so well, but it is indeed a big advance.  By the way, do you both have ever thought about selling the customized boards? I would be very happy to pay, say, U$30 on a board like this (here in Brazil we do not pay any government taxes if the ammount (price + shipping) is U$50 - beyond this, we pay 60% (!!) of taxes). That would be a huge save, specially compared to those VERY EXPENSIVE DGT boards... : )

Best regards from Sao Paulo, Brazil,

Viveiros

• 24 miesięcy temu · Cytuj · #55

fragilio

No worries, I'll tell you though, there's someone making USB Chessboards that has my full blessing (and support).

http://www.digitalchess.co.uk/

He's not completely online yet, but he's using a wooden board based off my Sish software.

Matt

• 24 miesięcy temu · Cytuj · #56

Robotvinnik

Viveiros, if your having problems with your Dream Cheeky just email me and I will try and help you.

• 24 miesięcy temu · Cytuj · #57

LikeTheLake

Congratulations Jimmy, looks great.  How did you encode the piece?, that is, well into the middlegame any piece could be at any given square, so other than knowing a square is in use by a piece, how do you tell which piece is on a given square?

• 24 miesięcy temu · Cytuj · #58

viveiros

Bryan,

Thank you so much! I'm about to be on vacation, so do expect me to contact you!

Regards,

Viveiros

• 18 miesięcy temu · Cytuj · #59

fischerwiner

The usb roolon chess is hard to find now days do you know a plase that has the rollon chess with usb interface board thanks in advance,

• 17 miesięcy temu · Cytuj · #60

Robotvinnik

eBay is your best bet

Powrót na górę

Wyślij odpowiedź: