Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Lucky Win For Svidler in Round 5 Candidates’, Anand Still Leads

• PeterDoggers
  • on 18.03.2014, 07:58.

“You normally don't get as lucky as this. It's beyond belief what happened today,” said Peter Svidler after his win against Veselin Topalov in round 5 of the 2014 FIDE Candidates’ Tournament in Khanty-Mansiysk. The grandmaster from St Petersburg was under huge pressure out of the opening, but his opponent started playing badly and even lost. Vishy Anand maintained his half-point lead drawing Dmitry Andreikin in a Berlin Ruy Lopez. The point was also split in Karjakin-Mamedyarov and Kramnik-Aronian; the latter game ended with two bare kings and mutual smiles.

Photos © Vadim Lavrenko courtesy of the official website

This year's Candidates’ Tournament is under way for just five rounds, but already it is becoming a historic event. The spectators have nothing to complain about, with lots of drama and very exciting games, sometimes larded with many mistakes, and sometimes of the absolute highest quality. In today's round only Peter Svidler managed to win, and so the Russian grandmaster joined Levon Aronian and Vladimir Kramnik in second place, half a point behind Viswanathan Anand.

In today's round, especially the game between the two pre-tournament favorites, Aronian and Kramnik, was really exciting. Luckily there were some spectators this round, but not many.

Galiya didn't have to stay long, because her boyfriend, Sergey Karjakin, drew after about 2 hours and 45 minutes with Shakhriyar Mamedyarov. The Muscovite didn't get much out of the opening, a Bb5 Sicilian. “1...c5 and 2...d6 is not his main weapon. Considering the fact that he had a lot of time before this tournament and that he has three seconds here, I was sure that he was prepared very well! That's why I decided to go for Bb5,” said Karjakin.

Mamedyarov said about the opening: “Me and Sergey are both on minus one, so... I think it's a very good opening for both, to play chess, it's very interesting. 3.Bb5 was a big surprise for me.” But he knew what he was doing, and Black equalized completely with his 21st move.

At the press conference Karjakin was asked why he didn't take more risks. He replied: “I don't think I didn't risk anything at this tournament. I played some sharp games before, but it is chess and I'm trying to play the best chess as I can.”

Vishy Anand was the next player to score a comfortable draw with the black pieces - in fact the second half of the game he was slightly better. Dmitry Andreikin had prepared well: he had even looked at a game Topalov-Anand from 11 years ago! Anand: “During the game I was sure he hadn't seen [it] because it was so long ago!”

Anand was happy with a number of maneuvers, and he grabbed some sort of initiative with a surprising “knight fianchetto” on move 17. But it wasn't much. “I'm trying but I didn't see anything concrete,” said Anand.

Svidler-Topalov was a wild game, and really exciting to watch, but objectively speaking it wasn't very good. Svidler got outprepared with White, then Topalov spoilt everything and it should have been a draw, but the Bulgarian chose a wrong square for his monarch, which ended up in a mating net. He got away with being just one pawn down, but it was lost nonetheless.

Svidler started his press conference by saying: “You normally don't get as lucky as this. It's beyond belief what happened today.”

About his failed opening he said: “My approach to the opening was... I was actually thinking during the game how to describe what I'm doing here, and the polite word is naivety. Veselin is kind of known for his opening preparation and he enters a line which I have supposedly refuted in my game against Antoaneta Stefanova, and clearly he knows something. And also, knowing Veselin, it's not to make a draw.”

And indeed, Topalov got a very nice position by trading queens and castling queenside. “I liked this trick with long castle. That was more or less the idea, but when I got it I started to make one mistake after another.” Svidler: “I was very surprised that I was not losing by force, and then very strange things started happening.”

For long I didn't play so badly,” said Topalov.
“Not in any best game collections. For both of us to be honest,” said Svidler, adding: “I played badly but Veselin played a horrible game. I'm sorry but that's what it is. This is not my achievement.”

Kramnik-Aronian was the game the chess fans probably looked forward to the most, and it certainly didn't disappoint. From a rare sideline in the Queen's Gambit Declined, White got a nice attacking position - isn't this what Torre Attack players are hoping for?

“White has a nice plan and quite a serious initiative. Of course the position is complicated but I really liked it after Ne5 and f4,” said Kramnik. Aronian reluctantly admitted that White had good chances out of the opening: “It's interesting. Normally the [white bishop on b2] is on the other diagonal, going to e1. I was curious to see... maybe it was not so easy to play.”

Aronian's reaction when Kramnik told him about the trick 19...f6? 20.Qxe4!

While Kramnik was building up his attack on the kingside, Aronian was trying to find counterplay on the queenside. The game seemed to be going towards a climax, and with both players having little time on the clock, it seems that Kramnik could have won somewhere - but it was never completely clear.

The rook ending that came on the board was probably always a draw but there were some tricky lines to calculate, because some pawn endings were drawn, and others were winning. In the game the players, while smiling at each other, played on until there were only two kings left.

Kramnik: “I cannot say I'm disappointed. The quality of the game is important to me and this game was very interesting.”

Tomorrow we'll have Aronian - Andreikin, Anand - Karjakin, Mamedyarov-Svidler and Topalov-Kramnik. That last one will attact most attention, because ever since the Toiletgate affair in 2006, these two players haven't shaken hands before or after their mutual games.

FIDE Candidates’ 2014 | Pairings & Results

3 Kramnik, Vladimir 2787 2837 ½ ½ ½ 1 ½ 3 7.5
4 Svidler, Peter 2758 2846 0 ½ 1 ½ 1 3 6
5 Topalov, Veselin 2785 2706 ½ ½ 0 ½ ½ 2 5.25
6 Karjakin, Sergey 2766 2689 0 ½ ½ ½ ½ 2 4.25
7 Mamedyarov, Shakhriyar 2757 2702 0 0 ½ ½ 1 2 3.5
8 Andreikin, Dmitry 2709 2620 ½ ½ 0 ½ 0 1.5 4.25

The 2014 FIDE Candidates’ Tournament is an 8-player double round robin with 4 rest days. The dates are March 13th-31st, 2014. Each day the rounds start at 15:00 local time which is 10:00 CET, 04:00 EST and 01:00 PST. The winner will have the right to challenge World Champion Magnus Carlsen of Norway in a world title match which is scheduled to take place in November 2014.

Czytano 11520 razy 49 komentarze
9 głosów

Komentarze

wjcsz

The lady in the first picture(beside Karjakin) is impossibly cute and beautiful.Who is she?Kiss

volencho

Topalov Beat Kramnik YEA!!!!

BigChessEnthusiast

Very tense battle between the Elo favourites, Kramnik and Aronian:

Adrian_Kinnersley

@PeterDoggers You have a typo in the url for the official website.

You have http://www.chess.com/candidates2014.fide.com

Should be http://candidates2014.fide.com/

Adrian_Kinnersley

I consider it possible that Anand will not get any more wins in this tournament. His usual result in top tournaments over the last few years has been to get a lot of draws. In early rounds perhaps other players were caught off guard in that they expected him to play with lower energy, but now that his opponents will have more caution there is a slightly different dynamic. So perhaps this brings him back to the usual situation of many draws. Of course, we'll just have to see about this -- it is a prediction that can easily be proven wrong!

Chakminder_1

I want Anand to challenge Carlsen and win this time. Best of Luck for him.

Chakminder_1

Smile

HyorioLee

I'm for Aronian to win, just so that the young generation can duke it out. Best to luck to Anand also, that rematch would be also cool.

pm11081994

Toiletgate!Foot in Mouth

black_hand

I wish the positive comments towards Anand from Indian players would also be directed at other good Indian players, like Harikrishna, Sasi and Humpy snf oyrhtd. They are so sychophanctly directed, one wonders of they are chess fans or just anand worshppers!!!!

soumitra13

go vishy go

senthurbharathi

Anand is  in full form in this  tournements...chuk de india..

skattman

If Aronian wins tomorrow I think he will win this tourney if he draws its wide open.

boojingmie

As of Round 5, only Anand and Kramnik have no loss yet!

Vishy seems to be in top form, but I go for Vladi.

aravot

Nice posting and quality summary. Enjoying the live games and wondering who is going to win. All players are super!

drsbhatia

Peter svidler is my fav guy after anand. While peter heine, the commentator was predicting complete loss for svidler after topalov castled, i had asked peter if topalov's destroyed castle did not mean a possible doom with a possible a pawn push. Peter HN never replied. I was happy to see that instinctively (and not by great calculation) i was feeling certain weaknesses in the risk topalov had taken and svidler could capitalise by just hanging in there. I was so happy to see him win. He is one of the underrated players and is also very unassuming. Join me on twitter @drsaurabhbhatia

soydiegom

Rumor: I have heard that Mr GM Topalov has built a toilet seat-chair that flushes every time Kramnik hits the clock, and is due early in the morning tomorrow to the playing hall to have Kramnik's regular chair replaced.

leaderless

very nice games

drumdaddy

The games are getting vicious. Following them live is intense. I still pick Kramnick, but Aronian held him off well today.

Tyozao